Year 11 Chemistry – Combined
(combined science – AQA 8464)
|What will my child be learning?||What homework will they be set?||How do I support my child?|
|· Formulations, mixtures, percentage compositions of components
· Chromatography and Rf values
· Testing for gases
The students are given a homework book, either higher tier or foundation tier based on their Kimberley School Target.
The students will be allocated pages to complete in this book for homework, which correspond to the lessons taught in class.
In addition, questions may be set covering the following areas:
· Long answer questions.
· Practical write-ups.
· Revision & flashcards.
· Key words.
Help them revise using revision cards.
Help them revise from the classwork books.
Ensure they complete homework on time. Encourage them to ask their teachers for help if they are stuck
|· History and composition of the atmosphere
· Development of the atmosphere
· Greenhouse effect
· Global warming
· Global climate change and greenhouse gases
· Atmospheric pollution
The Earth’s Resources
|· Finite & renewable resources
· How chemistry improves agriculture and industry
· Interpreting data
· Potable water
· Water treatment
· Extracting metals fro ores
· Life cycle assessments
· Issues affecting recycling, reducing and reusing products
Support/study guides available
|Title||Available from||Approx. cost|
|CGP workbook, exam practice question and answers books. These books cover the whole course (Y10 and Y11)||Purchase online through sQuid, and can be collected from Mr Murray in S9||£14 for combined science
|AQA Chemistry for GCSE Combined Science: Trilogy. Higher/Foundation Workbook||Provided by the Science Department for use in class or at home||Free|
|Revision Cards||Purchase online through sQuid, and can be collected from Mr Murray in S9||3 x £3 for combined science
|BBC Bitesize Key Stage 4||www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize||Free|
|Expert Guidance web site||http://www.expertguidance.co.uk||Free|
Other ways in which parents/carers can help:
- Ensuring students complete homework on time – check ShowMyHomework regularly.
- Encouraging them to seek help if they are struggling.
- Supporting students to revise for end of chapter tests.
- Helping students to review tests to see where to improve and set targets to ensure progress